Command line: How do you keep the output from scrolling out of sight?

I'm using Debian in a command-line-only installation for running a firewall/server.

I know that I'm supposed to use the messages I see every time I enter a command for troubleshooting purposes.  But if the output is too long, then the first messages scroll out of sight, and that makes it impossible to properly troubleshoot when I don't know what I'm doing.  Is there a way to get the output to temporarily stop so I can read it all if I wish?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>