Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

On Monday 28 February 2011 15:02:51 shawn wilson wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2011 3:37 PM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On 02/28/2011 02:29 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Shawn: I've noticed that all your emails seem to include the quoting
> >> carat '>' on the first line of your response.  Is your editor
> >> misconfigured?
> >
> > gmail misconfigured??  <snicker>
>
> Gmail any way it comes. All of my email has been in the cloud for the last
> decade.
>
> But, just curious is there an 'ap guideline' for proper mailing list
> submissions somewhere? I don't think I'm going to be able to change gmail
> but I'd like to know when something is foobar all the same.

There's only one standard that comes quoting rules.  It is the RFC that covers
the text/plain option format=flowed.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really cover
the practicalities of the issue, in particular spaces in between right-angle-
brackets confuses the algorithm provided.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article about posting styles.  This
mailing list doesn't have official policy.  But, the majority seem to use and
prefer trimmed, interleaved replies with trimmed, bottom-posted coming in
second and trimmed, top-posting coming in third.  TOFU (Top-posted Over Full-
quoted Under), which seems to be a favorite in certain corporate environments
is frowned upon.

For mailing lists and back-and-forth exchanges, the trimmed, interleaved style
makes a lot of sense.  For other environments, it may not be correct.

Note that a mailer that encourages trimmed, interleaved replies populates the
message window with the full reply and starts you cursor at the *top* of it,
so you can move down through the message trimming or inserting your reply as
needed.