Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

Patrick Bartek wrote:
Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13 months)--I've been using it since FC3, but have only been upgrading every 3rd release since 6--and wanting a distro where longevity and stability are paramount, and SELinux is an option, not the default, I've settled on Debian 6.  However, my custom-built system is mostly 5 year old hardware, and I want to get away from today's CPU-cycle eating, eye-candy, desktop environments, the features of which are mostly wasted on me, and go with the efficiency of a pure window manager set up.  That is, no GNOME, KDE, etc. installed at all.  I've chosen Openbox as the window manager as it seems to offer an efficient balance between features and RAM usage.

VirtualBox tests with Debian 6 RC2 32-bit look good.

My system:

Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by design)
4GB RAM
160GB SATA HD
Pioneer DVR-112D IDE DVD/CD Writer

Any opinions, suggestions or pitfalls?

I'll dual boot keeping Fedora 12 currently on the system as a fallback.

Almost the same as mine except for an Asus M4N98TD EVO mobo and the CPU is an AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor of 3.0 GHz.

I use Fvwm for WM.

Hugo