Re: ssd / smart question

On 02/21/2011 09:06 AM, Brian Ryans wrote:
Quoting Paul Berry on 2011-02-14 01:47:
There is only one problem.  The firmware update does not have a Linux
installer.  You need to install Windows 7 or Vista on a separate boot
drive, then boot from it to use the firmware tool.  I did a temporary
And THIS is why I mourn the loss of the venerable 1440K disk (or at
least the easy availability of ultra-small USB disks) and boot images
placed on vendors' websites. Made firmware upgrades fairly OS-agnostic.

I too mourn the demise of the floppy, but when you come right down to it,
a plain write-once CD costs about as much as a floppy used to. It just seems
like such a waste to just put a few KB on a CD!

(There exist "business card" CDs, but I don't know if you can get writable
disks in that size.  I have a couple that commercial s/w came on--some are
round, and some are actually rectangular, like a business card!  They make
an awful noise in the drive, but they work.)

--doug