Re: Where is cvsnt package in squeeze?

On Friday 25 February 2011 04:10:31 g o wrote:
>     I'm installed a fresh server with squeeze (debian 6.0) netisntall iso.
>
> I've tried to install the cvsnt packages... but no packages found! Where is
> cvsnt???? in Lenny there was!!!!

It was removed; a link to that bug already exists in this thread.

Instead of the "cvsnt" package, you can use the "cvs" package which is in
Squeeze.

You might also find the "cvsd" package useful if you are running a CVS
repository.  You should probably look into using the "git-cvsserver" binary in
the "git-cvs" package.  The architecture of CVS almost guarantees that once
you have concurrently developed branches, their history will get silently
corrupted.  Using the Git architecture but the CVS protocol ensures data
integrity without have to change the clients in many cases.

Finally, I would recommend that you move your repository off of CVS entirely.
DVCS technology is well-tested and bring advantages even in work flows built
around a centralized repository.  I use Git a lot and think it is the best,
but my criteria may be quite different from yours or your organizations.  I've
used Bazaar, Mercurial, Monotone, and Darcs all a bit.  I think all of them
have the disadvantages of their advantages; I know Git does.

Bazaar seems to have really slick documentation including discussions of
specific work flows.  Mercurial "just works" the way SVN users expect.
Monotone uses a relational data store and uses web-of-trust ideas.  Darcs has
a relatively amazing way to automatically handle certain classes of conflict.
Git exposes a lot of internals so it is as much a foundation for custom tools
as it is a stand-alone DVCS; I use just the shell to script interactions with
proprietary software at my DJ.