Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 14:41, Sjoerd Hardeman
<sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> I would use rsync, as it allows compression
>
> rsync -aAXxPz / root@178.63.65.136:/
> where -a preserves permissions, modification times etc
> -A preserves acls
> -X preserves xattrs
> -x keeps you in one filesystem (so you won't copy /dev etc.)
> -P keeps partial copied files for faster stop-and-proceed, and shows a
> progress bar
> -z compresses the data stream
>
> This should give you an identical copy. Good luck!

Thanks, Sjoerd, I do use rsync when I need to copy only changes. I
thought that scp would be faster here. But I suppose you're right.
Thanks for the tips on which options to use. I didn't know that -x
keeps one out of /dev!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il