Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

Dotan Cohen schreef:
I need to dd or cp my laptop's harddrive over the LAN. For a reason
that I'd rather not get into I cannot remove the drive from the
laptop.

Should I just use scp to copy over the LAN? Something like this?
scp -r / root@178.63.65.136:/
I would use rsync, as it allows compression

rsync -aAXxPz / root@178.63.65.136:/
where -a preserves permissions, modification times etc
-A preserves acls
-X preserves xattrs
-x keeps you in one filesystem (so you won't copy /dev etc.)
-P keeps partial copied files for faster stop-and-proceed, and shows a progress bar
-z compresses the data stream

This should give you an identical copy. Good luck!

Sjoerd