Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

On Thursday 24 February 2011 16:10:09 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 24 feb 11, 16:33:09, Celejar wrote:
> > Certainly - but my advice stands for typical, general purpose desktops,
> > laptops and servers.
>
> I doubt typical, general purpose desktops and laptops (yes, I omitted
> servers) are using /var/spool/mail or /var/spool/cron/crontabs

Having a couple of user cronjobs around is pretty normal for me.  And while
remote mail is optional, I consider a system that can't deliver local mail to
be incomplete.

There's also other stuff under /var I use.  PostgreSQL databases for one.

NB: I don't keep backups.  I know I should, but I don't.  I gave up after
calculating the size of the pile of DVDs I'd need to back up my 4TB file
system.