Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

On Feb 24, 2011 9:23 AM, "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@fizzback.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 02:32:43PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I need to dd or cp my laptop's harddrive over the LAN. For a reason
> > that I'd rather not get into I cannot remove the drive from the
> > laptop.
> >
> > Should I just use scp to copy over the LAN? Something like this?
> > scp -r / root@178.63.65.136:/
>
> Well... SSH has some overhead because it does encryption - you simply cannot
> have encryption without _some_ overhead.
>
> I would recommend rsync instead - simply because if things go wrong during the
> copy, it can pick up from where it left, rather than restarting from scratch:
>
>        rsync -av --numeric-ids / root@otherhost:/

IIRC, current rsync uses ssh by default anyway. You have to disable it to avoid that overhead.

However, rsync is the only option stated that allows resume. If you're using a boot cd, your only option might be to pipe in the data from another command because I seriously doubt you've got 40+ gigs of RAM on that laptop.