Re: Is there anything wrong with sticking with Lenny?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:33:45 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 12:53:39 Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Mi, 23 feb 11, 17:01:41, Camaleón wrote:
>> > (effective
>> > Debian support for releases is about 2 years).
>>
>> By your numbers it's about 4 years (2 years as stable and 2 years as
>> oldstable), but in fact it's only about 3 years (aprox. 2 years as
>> stable and 1 year as oldstable).
>
> If you need longer support, and Ubuntu LTS is derived from Debian
> packaging and supported for 5 years on "servers".

I don't see my self with Ubuntu/Canonical.

> SLED/SLES and RHEL
> might provide that length of support as well, but they are not derived
> from Debian packages.

Novell (SLES/SLED owner) is now almost dead (as company, not their linux
distribution) because of the buyout by Attachmate which should be
finishes in a few weeks. And openSUSE (which I left a year ago) has a
short-term release cycle and support (18 months). There is a new effort
in making a long-term supported openSUSE distribution by means of the
Evergreen project.

RedHat (or CentOS) sounds interesting, but I prefer to keep Debian.

(...)

> Debian is the best, most free distribution out there, in part because of
> the excellent support provided by DDs.

Yes, it can sound a bit strange but having no company behind the
distribution seems to me like a big "plus" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón