Re: Setting the screen resolution in grub2

On Wed 23 Feb 2011 at 16:01:22 +0100, Rob van der Putten wrote:

> As far as I can tell Grub2 tries to figure out largest resolution and
> number of colours the hardware (video card) supports and then uses this
> as its default.

The default GRUB menu display screen is definitely 640x480. Are you
after controlling the screen resolution later in the boot process?

> Is it OK to run update-grub or should I run grub-install?
> Maybe update-grub doesn't install the right modules for a low resolution.
> It does put a 'set gfxpayload=text' in /boot/grub/grub.cfg though.

Run update-grub.

> I could be on the wrong track;
> The problems start after grub has run. Maybe the Linux boot process
> overrides the resolution set by Grub.

It can and it does. Your video card and the driver it uses have some
bearing on this, as does /etc/default/console-setup.