Re: Setting the screen resolution in grub2

Hi there

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Tom H wrote:

Isn't 640x480 the default?

As far as I can tell Grub2 tries to figure out largest resolution and number of colours the hardware (video card) supports and then uses this as its default.

The "/etc/default/grub" variables that control the resolution are
GRUB_GFXMODE and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX.

Even GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text" doesn't work.

Is it OK to run update-grub or should I run grub-install?
Maybe update-grub doesn't install the right modules for a low resolution.
It does put a 'set gfxpayload=text' in /boot/grub/grub.cfg though.

I could be on the wrong track;
The problems start after grub has run. Maybe the Linux boot process overrides the resolution set by Grub.

Regards,
Rob