Side Question Regarding Modules (Related to Sound Server ?)

I was thinking about the reply I read to the restarting sound server question suggesting removing the modules and re inserting them, forgive me author of that post, I forget who suggested it...

Anyway I having not attempted this method before was thinking about how to go about it. I would assume an

# lsmod

Would give you the names of your targeted modules and one would follow with

# modprobe -r ModName

&&

# modprobe ModName

But upon reading the man page for modprobe I get the felling the use of modprobe is intended for long term management of modules to be loaded and unloaded in kernel upon boot, e.g. You remove module for sound but fail to properly reload it and you system is fubar upon reboot. Should this be a concern with this method? Is modprobe the suggested method for this type of action or are their commands I'm not thinking/familure with for said purpose??

Thanks;
TeddyB