Re: RAID start at boot

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to make sure my RAID (level 1) won't be started degraded? On
>> boot, one disk is found before the others, and the RAID is started before
>> the others are seen. (They are seen at different times because I am
>> transitioning from USB to eSATA, and the one eSATA disk is seen before any
>> USB disk.) I start my RAID manually anyway (not as part of the boot
>> process), so I'd be just as happy if it was never automatically started,
>> but I *really* don't want it started with just one disk.
>
>  According to the mdadm.conf man-page, you can specify an array
> with the name "<ignore>" in that file (and rebuild the initramfs,
> presumably), and this will cause mdadm to never automatically
> assemble the array.
>
>  You could then presumably assemble it "by hand" specifying
> the name to mdadm -A <whatever> later on.
>
>  I actually checked the man-page because I was *sure* there
> was a "--no-degraded" option in there somewhere.  There is such
> an option for the mdadm command, but it's not clear if it can
> be gotten in to the boot-time environment or not.

You can also take a look and change
# INITRDSTART:
#   list of arrays (or 'all') to start automatically when the initial ramdisk
#   loads. This list *must* include the array holding your root filesystem. Use
#   'none' to prevent any array from being started from the initial ramdisk.
INITRDSTART='all'
in "/etc/default/mdadm" before running update-initramfs or dpkg-reconfigure.