RAID start at boot

Is there a way to make sure my RAID (level 1) won't be started degraded? On
boot, one disk is found before the others, and the RAID is started before
the others are seen. (They are seen at different times because I am
transitioning from USB to eSATA, and the one eSATA disk is seen before any
USB disk.) I start my RAID manually anyway (not as part of the boot
process), so I'd be just as happy if it was never automatically started,
but I *really* don't want it started with just one disk.

Note that I already have append="quiet noresume raid=noautodetect" in my
lilo.conf (and have run lilo to install it), and neither mdadm nor
mdadm-raid run at init level 2 or S. Nonetheless, my RAID keeps coming up
at boot, degraded, with one disk.

--Greg