Re: Squeeze freezes

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:24:14PM +0100, Rico Secada wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have installed a fresh Debian Squeeze on several different laptops
> and desktops.
>
> On my own machines I haven't seen this problem, but on two different
> machines installed for family members they both complain about Squeeze
> freezing up completely.
>
> The problem is that there is nothing in the logs.
>
> When the freezing occurs there is nothing to do. They can't press ALT +
> F1 for example or anything else. Also I can't SSH in to the machines.
>
> They completely freeze up.
>
> One machine is a HP NX9005 with Debian Squeeze (completely updated)
> running KDE (kde-full is install).
>
> The other machine is a Fujitsu Siemens with the same programs installed.
>
> I have tried making them run different applications to determine if the
> freeze could possible be because of some buggy user application, but
> I can't locate any solid pattern to the problem.
>
> Both machines has been running flawlessly with Debian Lenny for years
> also with KDE.
>
> How can I determine what's causing the freeze?

Hello:

I used to have problems with strange freezes.  My machine completely
froze to the point where it would not even respond to pings.  There
was nothing in the logs afterwards.  This happened randomly about once
a day.

After unsuccessfully trying to find information I finally traced the
problem to the ondemand frequency governor.  Switching to the
performance governor _completely_ solved the issue.

For reference, the machine I'm referring to is a Dell Inspiron 5150
with a 3GHz Pentium 4 (2004).  I had this problem with Etch and Lenny.
Since then I have not bothered trying the ondemand governor so I don't
know if the problem would occur in Squeeze.

Jaime