restarting sound

Every once in a while my sound stops working. This time I believe the
last thing involving sound that I did was to watch a flv video using
totem. That was a couple of hours ago and now there is no sound at all,
not from audacity, totem, xine, or moc.

How can I restart sound without rebooting the whole machine?

--
"In existing criminology there are concepts: a criminal man, a criminal
profession, a criminal society, a criminal sect, a criminal cast and a