Re: can't get 1280x1024 in Wheezy

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:21:01 +0000 (UTC), I wrote:

> I installed Wheezy (testing) on a new desktop with an old Viewsonic 17
> monitor. ... I'm getting 1024x768, and 1280x1024 is not offered as an
> option.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:50:24 +0200, Andrei Popescu replied:

> I think you need a minimal /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the correct VertSync
> and HorizSync ranges for your monitor.

Thanks, that did the trick.  I had tried my old xorg.conf.  That failed until
I commented out the "Device" section for the video card that's no longer
there.  I hadn't played with xorg.conf much because I thought it was
deprecated now.

Unfortunately, my old Logitech serial mouse still doesn't work with the old
xorg.conf section:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/ttyS0"
        Option          "Protocol"              "Microsoft"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

/dev/ttyS0 does exist.  Do you have any ideas on how to get that working?  (I
keep it because I don't like scroll wheels.)

Thanks again.