Re: Lenny-to-Squeeze: ... and no net. (Sorry, reSending)

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 13:04 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 12 feb 11, 20:43:55, armstrng@eskimo.com wrote:
> > Hi List.
> >
> > In the midst of upgrading Lenny to Squeeze - specifically, upon reboot
after
> > installing the new kernel and udev - I find that:
> >
> > 1) My external hard drive, whose partitions Lenny had always happily
mounted
> >    with fstab lines like "/dev/sdc1  /mnt/u/0  auto  rw,user,noauto  0
 0",
> >    gets no mounts at all.
>
> Is this copy-pasted from fstab?
>
> >    FYI: the drive isn't completely ignored, as a kern.log line lists
all its
> > partitions; and I am able to mount each manually using the old syntax.
>
> Could you please post the relevant log lines and exact comand line that
> works
>
> >    Does Squeeze require upgraded fstab-entry parameters (in addition
> >    to the
> >    new device specification)?  Or -- what else should I be asking?
>
> Device names may change from hda to sda and so, I'm not aware of other
> changes.
>
> > 2) There is no net connection.  (So I'm writing this from another
computer.)
> >    And dmesg.0 now mentions "Tigon3".  Does this mean that I need to
append
> >    "contrib non-free" after "main" in /etc/sources.list, and then
re-execute
> > "apt-get upgrade"? And then re-install both the new kernel and udev?
>
> This lacks a lot of information to be able to start guessing what's
> wrong and it would be better to start a separate thread about it.

MY APOLOGIES FOR RESENDING. Iceweasel mishandled a lot of my mail -- maybe this, maybe your reply. If you have responded already, please resend as well. (I've got Iceape Mail instead now, working ok.)

Hi again, Andrei.

I gather from docs that the problem was my ISDN connection which,
after the reboot following "install -udev", Squeeze simply disabled.

So I've now on another box downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1-iso
and cat'd it to a usb stick; then on my half-upgraded box mounted the
stick on /media/usbdisk and edited /etc/apt/sources.list to say just
                   deb file:/media/usbdisk stable main contrib
And now I've run "apt-get update", which responds
                   Get:1 file: stable Release 900B
     [though] Ign file: ... [the specified components]

At this point, can I safely proceed with "apt-get dist-upgrade"
(the upgrade-doc's first command (4.4.6) after that reboot)?

Thanks again for your time.
Pete

P.S.  The "missing mounts" issue (stupid mistake of mine) is fixed.