Re: GNOME root's logins (looking for feeback)

On 02/20/2011 11:14 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:48:54 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/20/2011 09:21 AM, Camaleón wrote:
Hello,

I wonder what is the point of forbidding root's GUI logins from GDM
greeter while this can be easily by-passed without editing any
configuration file?

Behavioral conditioning.  Yes, all we geeks know how to do it, but our
"users" don't, and the extra bit of work-around means that no one gets
in the bad, bad, bad habit of logging in as root.

Only root can enable (or access) that option and anyone (being geek or
not) would finally find the way, so what's the problem?

Should you really want to disable that "bad, bad, bad habit", hard code
it into GNOME to avoid root logins so geek users have to recompile from
source or create a fork to get the feature available ;-)

I for myself prefer that users can play with "dangerous things" by
themselves. Once they've been bitten, they'll stop using it.

Because there are a *few* freedom-loving developers left, the ability to log in as root still exists. However, just because you *can* do it, doesn't mean that "they" should make it *easy* to do so.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman