Re: Going remote - some advice please

On 02/20/2011 03:13 AM, AG wrote:
On 19/02/11 23:39, Rob Owens wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 08:54:03PM +0000, AG wrote:
Dear all

My wife and I are looking to go volunteering for at least the next
six months and will be 95% off-grid. We want to remain connected
to the Net and continue to have access to a computer, and Debian
will be our system of choice.

If you are going to be somewhat nearby civilization, this series of
articles might be interesting to you:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/not_spot_diary/

Many thanks for your comments Christian and Rob.

Finding PV cells that effectively and reliably charge laptops does
seem to be quite a task here in the UK. I have found a couple of
potentially promising leads which I will investigate further.
However, if you come across anything along these lines, please post.

The other issue is to track down a reliable laptop (doesn't need to
be too rugged), that has a decent battery life (& doesn't degrade
rapidly with each subsequent charge) and allows for basic
power-saving/ energy efficient options. Has anyone any
recommendations for that ... or is that also a bit of a rarity? The
two laptops I've had in my life so far started off well enough but
degraded in battery life quite quickly, and one of those was a Dell,
so I was quite disappointed with that.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts so far. If anything else comes to
mind, please let me know.

I'd look for some list/forum/association where archaeologists, field geologists, etc hang out and ask them what kind of kit they use.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman