Re: Going remote - some advice please

Oh, PV=photovoltaics (I was thinking "RV"), well, I've been looking
around for that too, and come to the conclusion that if you want the
solar panel to be portable, then you can't use laptops (10W+ power
usage) nor netbooks (5W+), only ARM based tablets will be feasible
(around 2W or below, so a 6W panel will be ok, also with a step down
it may be possible to directly feed power to the USB port). The Notion
Ink Adam might run Debian, and thanks to the NVidia video has the
power to play videos, but the cpu might still be too weak for video
editing, dunno; in any case you would need luck to get one soon.

But maybe you only need to work with the computer an hour per day or
less, then even a portable panel should be enough if you can set it up
to recharge a battery all day. Although I expect (and have seen
mentions) that you can't charge a laptop directly from solar in that
case (if the power supply expects more power to be available than the
panel delivers, it will not be able to run normally), so you need a
solar power set with its own battery.

Christian.