Re: Switching to NVIDIA

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:59 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I am running Sid, and have just switched my video from Intel on-board
> to a NVIDIA based GE 5200.

I would recommend to use the DKMS [0] packages to install the
proprietary driver for nvidia cards.

Which package?
==============

Depending on your chipset you need one of the following packages:

1. nvidia-kernel-dkms
2. nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms
3. nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms
4. nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-dkms (only in sid)

You can check the list of supported chipsets on the nvidia page to find
which driver supports your card.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.36/README/supportedchips.html
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.24/README/supportedchips.html

Installation and Configuration
==============================

The installation of the dkms driver is more or less the same for each of
these pacakges.

Enable non-free sources
-----------------------

Make sure that each deb/deb-src lineends in "main contrib non-free".
So, for example, the following line:

    deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main

should be changed to:

    deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

Note that "contrib" is not really needed, but you might want to add it
nonetheless if you plan to install packages like "flashplugin-nonfree".

You can learn more about the "cdn" mirror at

    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror

Package installation
--------------------

Change the "nvidia-kernel-dkms" package to the one you actually need.

# aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` nvidia-kernel-dkms

Configuration
--------------

The Xorg version in squeeze is most elegantly configured by using an
empty, or rather nonexisting, /etc/X11/xorg.conf and by using device
specific config snippets in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Every file whose
filename ends in ".conf" is included. So you basically do the following:

# mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (if it does not exist)
# $EDITOR /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

  With the following content:

  --- snip ---
  Section "Device"
    Identifier "My GPU"
    Driver "nvidia"
  EndSection'
  --- snip ---

Notes
=====

Using the DKMS approach has the advantage that the module will be
compiled whenever you install a new kernel. I can understand that you
find the wiki page a bit confusing, but hope that you can follow my
instructions. This is the procedure we typically recommend in #d these
days.

Have a nice day

[0] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support
--