Re: question about storage

On 02/18/2011 10:52 PM, Jim Green wrote:
I think I'll probably do this,
4x2T drive in desktop and use a external closure for backup(because I
am using mirroring, disk failure should be ok though). and I'll be
using soft raid to avoid hardware raid card.

Have you thought about security? If your database contains confidential, personal, etc., information, it's easy to encrypt your partitions with dm-crypt:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dm-crypt

A processor with AES-NI extensions is desirable:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES-NI

Beware that Intel's newest desktop chipsets (H67 and P67) have problems with the SATA ports:

    http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2011/01/chipset_design_flaw.php

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/01/31/intel-identifies-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

"The company expects to begin delivering the updated version of the chipset to customers in late February and expects full volume recovery in April"

If you can wait, I would. If not, then the choices would seem to be prior-generation desktop chipsets or current workstation/ server chipsets:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/index.htm?iid=desk_nav+chip

http://www.intel.com/products/server/chipsets/index.htm#s1=Workstation&s2=all&s3=all?iid=chipsets_body+workstation

> Thank you both!

You're welcome.  :-)