Re: Console resolution

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:49:33 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

>> To make this a bit more clear, nvidia card owners can run either:
>>
>> a) KMS+nouveau
>>
> so, what is this, why would I want it?

It's another driver available for your card. It is open source and it
uses reverse engineering techniques to provide 3D acceleration. Nvidia
(the company) does not support it.

(...)
>> d) nv (obsolete but still available, AFAICT)
>>
> I don't know if nv is still available in squeeze, I would imagine it is,
> but I hope I never have to use it!

Why not? It used to be good enough for many of us and a couple of years
ago, it was the only free alternative for nvidia cards. It provides only
2D acceleration and for that reason the nuvó project was started. Nv was
getting direct support from Nvidia (the company).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón