Re: question about storage

Dne, 19. 02. 2011 05:36:54 je Jim Green napisal(a):
Hello!
I have a laptop with 120G harddrive, 2x320G external harddrive,  I
don't have a desktop.

Now I am doing something serious storing some huge historical data to
mysql database and want to have some better storage solution(I hate
the two external harddrives I bought 4 years ago, need to power them
on individually and connect with laptop each time I need to use data
in them).

I have two options
1, buy a desktop with 4x2T harddrives and use lvm on raid1, I need the
redundancy of data.

+1

2, buy some independent storage like NAS, buy another desktop with
small harddrive to access the NAS, debian installed on NAS and desktop
of course.

what do you think would be a better solution for me? I like the NAS
idea that storage is independent so I can keep the NAS even if I
upgrade my desktops, but the con is I need to buy separate NAS..

What makes you think that, with solution 1., storage is *not* independent? NAS solutions, just as USB and eSATA external enclosures, have several disadvantages: 1) there's generally no easy upgrade path (except perhaps in professional-grade equipment that only datacenters can afford); 2) being the current market fad, they all come with an overprice relative to their "true value" (you pay way too much per gigabyte of storage as opposed to plain hard drives); 3) you have to pay an additional overprice if you want sturdy, brand name hardware; this overprice may be so huge as to become prohibitive; 4) hard drives in external enclosures and NAS solutions are generally slower/smaller/inferior/last year; again, that is just the general rule which "can" be avoided -- by shelling for yet another additional overprice of course; 5) according to user reports, there is potential for compatibility woes (particularly with external enclosures, less so with NAS).

The fact that you presently don't own a desktop is another huge point in favor of getting one.

IMHO: you should get a desktop with plenty of hard drive bays, so that you won't be facing problems if/when your data footprint doubles or trebles. Perhaps you should go for 3T drives from the outset. Data tend to grow at amazing speeds. And a good 1000/100/10 ethernet card. With the addition of a cheap wireless router in your home, you'll be able to access your data from any point in your house, or even your backyard, without messing with any cables/enclosures and the like. In addition, you'll have a fallback machine in case your laptops goes belly up. With modern power-saving capabilities you can even leave the desktop running 24/7 and install some nifty server packages, such as squid, apache, a full-fledged mail server, and of course mysql. Debian is just ideal for that.

Happy shopping!

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.