Kodak scanner not found or not working

I am new to using Debian "itself" - I have been using Mepis and Ubuntu.
I made a test install of Lenny, and just upgraded to Squeeze. the system seems
to be working well, I installed Trinity as a Desktop.

My problem is with the scanner. I use a Kodak i1220 that requires tah Kodak
drivers, wich in turn require some Mono elements.

The Kodak drivers installed OK, but then I discovered that saned was disabled.
I enabled it in /etc/default/saned, but I have _big_ problems to find the
scanner. Scantwain sometime finds it, some time not. Xsane says no scanner
found. gscan2pdf lists the scanner but can't set the optionsa and (mostly)
refuses to scan.

The same scanner on the same machine works with Ubuntu, so that's not
hardware. Could it be linked to the upgrade, possible conflicts? Should I try
to install a clean Squeeze?

Thanks for any help,

Thierry