Re: How long has your Lenny -> Squeeze upgrade taken?

> Realizing this is dependent on computer specs, just curious what
> some of the people on this list have experienced for how much time
> it took to do the Lenny to Squeeze upgrade, (assuming a fully
> up-to-date Lenny system).

Based on upgrades of earlier releases (haven't upgraded anything to
squeeze yet), you are looking at hours, not minutes.

My record is 13 hours for an etch to lenny upgrade. On a 2Mbit
connection only a small proportion of that time was spent downloading
packages. The system was an AMD Duron 650MHz of 2000 vintage, and
laden with Gnome, KDE, and various server packages including cups,
exim, apache, hplip, moinmoin.  (Note to self: purge unwanted software
before the next upgrade).

Even on much newer/faster and less loaded systems I don't recall any
upgrade taking much less than an hour.

You need to be on hand during the upgrade, as configuration questions
can occur at any time.

Also if you rely on the system for anything important, you need to
allow time to diagnose and fix the fallout i.e. breakages that aren't
covered in the release notes. It happens unfortunately.

--
Cheers,
Clive