RE: Debian Squeeze 64-bit, dlopen() missing?

> OK, but it does fail.  What does config.log tell you at this point about the
> failure reason?  Note that the configure test is still broken; it's linking with
> many unnecessary libraries, and it should only link with libdl to check for the
> presence of dlopen.  A problem with one of the other libs could result in a
> test failure.

Hi,

I've sorted this out now. The configure test of pmacct is obviously a bit.. odd. It seems the problem was never that it couldn't find dlopen(). Look at this part of the full config.log I pasted earlier:

configure:2874: gcc -o conftest -O2  -Wl,--export-dynamic  conftest.c -ldl   -L/usr/local/lib -lpcap -lpfring -L/usr/lib -lmysqlclient 1>&5
/usr/local/lib/libpfring.so: undefined reference to `pfring_enable_hw_timestamp'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The problem lies with the libpfring.so library. I "cheated" the configure script by installing the normal libpcap & libpcap-dev packages (without pfring support) an ran a configure.. which worked fine. I then switched back to the pfring libpcap and ran a configure, which then "found" dlopen in -ldl (but cached from the previous configure). However the make failed on "undefined reference to `pfring_enable_hw_timestamp'" anyway.

I went back to my 32-bit test server (where everything works), and noticed that I had checked out a later SVN of PF_RING on the 64-bit box. So there had been an update during the hour between my tests on the 32-bit and the 64-bit squeeze. A bit embarrassing, heh. Needless to say, the newer SVN version doesn't work on 32-bit either.

PF_RING isn't stable and the source is only available via SVN (afaik).

I'll take this up with the PF_RING devs instead :)

Thanks for your time though!

Regards,

Johan