Re: Migration from Lenny to Squeeze: any feedback about configuration upgrade issues ?

[ Sorry for the late reply ]

Le jeudi 10 février 2011 02:55:36, Rob Owens a écrit :
> > Did you have other configuration issues ?
>
> I didn't have any major issues, but I did have to manually merge several
> config files.  If I know I modified the config file previously, I keep
> my existing config file.  Then I merge my changes into the new config
> file, and make that the "offical" config file.

That's the kind of situation I want to improve with my config-model project.
In this case, the goal is to merge user configuration with new package data
without requiring user interaction.

I hoped to have more feedback in order to better target the packages that
needed to be improved. Given the lack of response, I guess that I will target
package that bother me most often during upgrades (like cups)...

> I was questioned about some config files which I know I did not modify.
> In that case, I accepted the new one blindly.

This one is more weird as the config file was modified by something, most
often a post-install script. IMHO, this should be considered as a bug.

All the best

Dominique
--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/