Way to have terminal/console application stack in gnome like in KDE 3.5's kicker?

Having lost KDE 3.5 in the squeeze update, and not being satisfied with the
new KDE 4.* (frankly, I think it is very poorly designed), I am looking for a desktop
which can stack running terminal sessions.

Let's say I have 50 Konsole or gnome-terminal windows open, each to a
different remote box.  I want to click on the panel area and select one by
name which is already open.  I could do that in KDE 3.5.  Firefox and other
apps could do this too.  How is this done in gnome or what options are there
for managing many open sessions of something?

--Donald