Re: xterm question

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:39:39PM EST, Mike McClain wrote:

[..]

> That said the complexities of 'nix is a broad subject and though
> I've been a user for many years there is still so much I don't
> know that it's easy to get overwhelmed. Rob's shortcut for instance:

>     uxterm -fn -misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

> I've looked at the man pages for xterm and uxterm and can see that
> '-fn' sets the font but have yet to find the explaination for the
> '-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' part of that line.

Take a look at this.. Chapter 7, IIRC..

http://www.archive.org/stream/xwindowsytemosf03querarch/xwindowsytemosf03querarch.djvu

Unless your browser can display it, you need to download the .djvu file
and you can use the ‘evince’ viewer to access it. It's a scanned copy of
the original and much smaller and better quality than the .pdf.

If you're interested in the way ‘X’ handles font specification, you will
also find a very clear description of how you can put to good use such
standard utilities as ‘xfd’ and ‘xfontsel’.

> I read through the man page for bind several times trying to understand
> how it could be used to setup key bindings and would probably be still
> scratching my head had 'which bind' not come up empty.

Shoot... I remember thinking.. need to tell him that bind is a shell
builtin.. so you need to use ‘help bind’ or better ‘man bash’ (or ‘info
bash’) .. not ‘man bind’.. and I forgot.

> 'help bind' showed me the bind you guys were using/discussing.
> I work mainly on the commandline and have setup my own inputrc and
> a script that calls loadkeys for readline editing functions in bash such
> as ^Home --> bash:backward-kill-line but never used bind by itself.
>
> Speaking of which, these mappings don't seem to carry over into xterm.
> Can you point the way to setup similar bash functionality in xterm?

I would suspect this may have to do with navigation keys support in
XTerm .. arrows, Home.. End.. Pgup.. etc. I don't know the details
because I do my best NOT to use any keys that live beyond my stubby
fingers' reach but if you google for something like ‘xterm arrow keys’
or ‘xterm home end key’ etc. you should quickly be able to tell whether
this is relevant or yet just another bad guess on my part. If I guessed
right, it's likely going to boil down to your terminal description (cf.
the contents of the $TERM environment variable) - not describing such
capabilities for the benefit of client applications. Mileage solving
problems in this area varies.

cj