Re: Trying to Switch from Ubuntu to Debian

On 02/15/2011 07:36 PM, Noah Duffy wrote:
Secondly, I'm going to have to figure out exactly how to install the
nVidia drivers for my video card.  I've seen that I can do it manually
or with the non-free repository.  I haven't tried the first method,
but installing nvidia-glx just seemed to cause me problems (I think
this may have been the wrong package).

Google is your friend.  Searching for:

    NVIDIA video driver installation notes debian squeeze

I found this:

    http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Digging through NVIDIA's web site just now, I found this:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.36/README/index.html

That said, I recently installed Debian i386 5.0.8 (Lenny) on a Asus NVIDIA nForce geForce and AMD Athlon system and wanted to use NVIDIA's proprietary video driver. I've done this before, so I went to their web site, surfed around for Linux video drivers, downloaded the one for my system (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run), installed the necessary Debian packages (binutils, gcc, make, linux-headers-2.6.26-2-686), rebooted into single-user mode, set the CC environment variable (CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1), and ran the script. (Understand that it took several failed attempts to figure everything out. I keep a log.txt file for all my systems, and suggest that you do the same.)

David