Re: I want beep in urxvt terminal

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

>> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What DE? See also #610190.
>>
>> I'm running Window Maker, but being running gnome-settings-daemon
>> too.
>>
>> I find debian bug report #610190.
>>
>> In the case of urxvt command I have the file .Xdefaults and in it the
>> line:
>>
>> URxvt.visualBell: true
>>
>> so when the beep should heared I can see visuall Bell, but beep sound
>> can't hear.
>
> When in urxvt terminal window, I can run following commands and can
> hear beep:
>
>  $ beep
>
>  $ tty
>  /dev/pts/6
>
>  $ beep /dev/pts/6
>
> In all two case above ( '$ beep' & '$ beep /dev/pts/6' ) I can hear
> beep.
> I can't hear beep only when in empty line at prompt:
>
>  csanyipal@debian-asztal:~$
>
> hit the Down key on keyboard.

So I red the 'man beep' and try out command
 # chmod 4755 /usr/bin/beep

but that doesn't help.

$ ls -l /usr/bin/beep
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root audio 10120 2009 dec   21 /usr/bin/beep

and my user account 'csanyipal' is a member of groups:
$ groups csanyipal
csanyipal : csanyipal lp dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev

It's really annoying that beep doesn't works out of the box. :)

--
Regards, Paul
<http://csanyi-pal.info>