Re: checking for changes in file size/permissions since installation?

Lev Lvovsky <lev@sonous.com> writes:

> Brian,
>
> -lev
>
> On Feb 13, 2011, at 3:09 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sat 12 Feb 2011 at 23:17:12 -0800, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
>>
>>> Does apt/dpkg keep track of permissions and file sizes of the files which
>>> belong to a package?  If so, how can this information be retrieved so as to
>>> compare to existing files on the file system?
>>
>> Is
>>
>>  dpkg -c <package.deb>
>>
>> of any use?
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific - I need to audit all of the
> installed packages on my system (massive file system corruption).  I'm
> assuming that dpkg knows the size and permissions (not as important)
> of a file after it's been installed, so need to compare the existing
> file to what it was originally when installed.
>
> I'd found a command-line piped together a week or so ago that does
> this, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

You might have been thinking of debsums.  That will check the MD5 sums
of installed packages, but I don't know whether it covers all installed
files.  The checksums are stored in /var/lib/dpkg/info, so they might
also be corrupt.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org