Subject: Re: Buffers VS Page Cache
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:47:05 -0500
From: Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:46:40PM EST, George Shuklin wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I'm trying to understand difference between Buffers and Page Cache in
> Linux, but found almost no documentation.

Where ‘in Linux’..? What exactly are you looking at..?

> As far as I understand buffers and Page Cache serves same purpose:
> they  save recent reed/written pages and allow to reduce amount of
> actual IO.

... regardless of the OS.

> So, the questions:
>
> 1) What difference between buffers and page cache?
> 2) What data goes to Cache?

Buffers..?

> 3) What data goes to Cache?
> 4) Why this separation was needed?

I'm tempted to say that if you are trying to solve a specific problem
relative to these aspects, you need to provide more information as to
what your are seeing and what you are trying to do.

If you want to generally refine your knowledge of such aspects, I would
suggest googling a bit and reading some of the numerous articles on the
subject or the kernel documentation, and perhaps get back to the list if
you need any clarification.

cj