Re: Proper way to restart network after modem/router reset

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:10:08 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 13 feb 11, 08:39:06, Joe Riel wrote:
> >
> > may be the proper way, however that was unclear.  I haven't tried
> > that yet.   Is there a recommended method?  Is there a Debian howto
> > that recommends what should be done?
>
> Assuming your network is configured via /etc/network/interfaces (you
> didn't mention) then 'ifup' and 'ifdown' is what you are looking for
> AFAIK.

$ grep -v '^\#' /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0

Should I then do

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo ifup etho0

Hmm.  That doesn't work:

$ sudo ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

I haven't done anything in particular to configure my
installation of Squeeze for the local network; just accepted
the defaults.

--
Joe Riel