Re: Hardware needed for home network

Andrei writes:
> You seem to assume it is impossible for a packet to reach one of the
> other internal computers without taking the detour via the server (and
> it's firewall). Maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't base the security
> of my internal network on this assumption.

If I understand correctly he has the modem in bridge mode and is running
pppd on the server (I am doing this as well though I also have two NICs
on the server).  Thus there is no IP traffic between the modem and the
server: just PPP.  Even if the PPP packets were to reach one of the
other computers they could do nothing with them unless they were also
running pppd.  I suppose an attacker could seize control of the modem
(hard to do when it's in bridge mode) and then launch an attack, though.

Modem firmware has a history of being buggy and full of holes.  I'd
rather not let it have any access at all to my network.  NICs are cheap.
--
John Hasler