Re: Hardware needed for home network

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 12:55 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 13 feb 11, 09:22:56, Tixy wrote:

> > > Yes, but only if the modem is also a gateway (NAT + DHCP).
> >
> > My Firewall/Server does the NAT and DHCP, and is the gateway for my home
> > network. The modem just provides my server with a PPP connection to my
> > ISP.
>
> You mean your modem is connected directly to the switch (in bridge
> mode?), but the server is doing the NAT?

Yes, the modem [1] doesn't have any other features. I deliberately chose
it for that reason as I wanted everything I could under my complete
control. :-)

> I know this can be done, but is generally not recommended, unless you
> have very good reasons not to put a second ethernet card in the server
> and do it properly.

My server is a SheevaPlug [2], so no room for another NIC ;-)

I couldn't see any practical reason for a second Ethernet interface
anyway. There's performance issues when input and output traffic share a
single interfaces, but as my ADSL speed is <2% of that of the servers
Gigabit Ethernet adaptor, that doesn't really factor in.

[1] http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug

--
Tixy               ()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
                   /\  Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments