Re: priority in apt-get

In <[🔎] AANLkTikTgwY5bLQPQ5B-p2Bg0fXqHo5i482HDjt5gAQK@mail.gmail.com>, abdelkader
belahcene wrote:
>I have a local repository,  and declare also a remote one,  I want to tell
>to apt-get to install a package from a local repo, if it exists.  it seems
>that it begins from the remote .  here is my sources:
>
>deb file:/home/CD1 squeeze main
>deb file:/home/extra6 /
>deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian squeeze main non-free contrib

From (man 5 sources.list):
The source list is designed to support any number of active sources and
a variety of source media. The file lists one source per line, with the
most preferred source listed first.
[...]
It is important to list sources in order of preference, with the most
preferred source listed first. Typically this will result in sorting by
speed from fastest to slowest (CD-ROM followed by hosts on a local
network, followed by distant Internet hosts, for example).

So, it looks like you are mostly there.

Now, that's for fetching package_version.deb and similarly for source package
files.

If you want to prefer the versions in a certain repository over the versions
in a different repository, read (man 5 apt_preferences).  This allows you to
give certain repositories (by contents of Release file) or packages (by
version number or repository) priority over others.

When installing a package from the command-line APT will filter available
package versions by priority, leaving only other with the highest priority,
then choose the highest version.  When satisfying a dependency, APT will
narrow the list to only those package versions that satisfy the dependency
before filtering based on priority.

HTH