Re: bad surprise using ghostview (gv)

I am adding below a few more details to my last post, especially since I carried a few more tests :

Bernard wrote:
Roger Leigh wrote:
On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:28:22AM +0100, Bernard wrote:
Roger Leigh wrote:
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:32:42AM -0500, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
On 02/12/2011 08:59 AM, Bernard wrote:

...snip...
But then I fail to understand: as explained in my original post,
CUPS+GUTENPRINT does work with my DeskJet-1120C, it provides good
quality color printing from OpenOffice as well as from the GIMP,
only from GhostView does it print B/W with low quality

Hmm, I do see that a number of HP Colour Deskjets are now listed,
so you may well be correct.  Historically, this was a problem;
maybe that's fixed or partially fixed now.

Now ? But, as explained in my original post, the same CUPS config did allow good quality color printing of ps files using 'gv' (GhostView), as well as OpenOffice and the GIMP, BEFORE I replace Debian Sarge by Lenny, that is, in the date range 2006-2009.

gv is just using lpr/lp to print.  So, if for example you print the
file directly with "lpr -P printer $file.ps", is it still monochrome?

Yes it is.

This will eliminate gs, in case it's causing the problem.

When you print from the GIMP, are you using the regular Print
dialogue, or are you using the "Print with Gutenprint" dialogue
(gimp-gutenprint)?
With the GIMP, I am using the regular print dialogue... and it prints nicely with colors. It still does, for I have carried some more tests, so as to eliminate problems that could have arisen since.

A precision here. In the line above, I meant using the GIMP for the purpose of printing images such as jpg or tif files. So far I had never tried to import postscript files into the GIMP, not even knowing if it was possible. So, I have just tested it. My ps files do import all right into the GIMP, and, from the GIMP, they do print with colors (no color if printing with 'gv' or just using lpr directly). However, with the GIMP, the quality is rather poor, except if I opt for strong dithering during import. I also just tested the import of my ps file into OpenOffice. It does import it into OpenOffice_draw, and, from there, it prints with color and good quality.