Lenny-to-Squeeze: missing mounts, and no net.

Hi List.

In the midst of upgrading Lenny to Squeeze - specifically, upon reboot after
installing the new kernel and udev - I find that:

1) My external hard drive, whose partitions Lenny had always happily mounted
   with fstab lines like "/dev/sdc1  /mnt/u/0  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0",
   gets no mounts at all.

   FYI: the drive isn't completely ignored, as a kern.log line lists all its
   partitions; and I am able to mount each manually using the old syntax.

   Does Squeeze require upgraded fstab-entry parameters (in addition to the
   new device specification)?  Or -- what else should I be asking?

2) There is no net connection.  (So I'm writing this from another computer.)
   And dmesg.0 now mentions "Tigon3".  Does this mean that I need to append
   "contrib non-free" after "main" in /etc/sources.list, and then re-execute
   "apt-get upgrade"?   And then re-install both the new kernel and udev?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Pete