Re: grub 2 problems ??

Camaleón schreef:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:26:54 +0100, steef wrote:

(...)

my question: what do i miss if anything? or is this normal for the new
grub? is there anything to do about this? has this got to do with
UUID-numbers?
I'm not sure to have understood it at all.

"Mounting" is different than "booting", so, what kind of error are you
experiencing that involves GRUB2 and mounting? Moreover, how can a
bootloader interfere in mounting a partition? :-?

Greetings,

hi camaleón

that is exactly my problem. what i do know is the difference (after some work) with the early days of grub. i install in one machine on separate hd's p.e. debian, gentoo and slackware, with on each hd grub installed in the mbr. at each install i loosened the cables of the other two hd's. each installation is so completely independent of each other. in the old days i could with simple modifications in /etc/fstab and /mnt make the installation on /dev/hdax *see* the file systems on the other hd's : /dev/hdy and /dev/hdz.

with sata ide' s this was possible too on my (two) machines (included windows xp that i somatimes *must* use) up till now.

my newest machine only has sata connections. when i install on the three sata hd's in this machine completely independent of each other with loosened cables of the *other* two disks; including grub2 placing the bootloader in the mbr of each disk independently of each other; and i start up with again fastened cables; my /dev/sda1 does *not* recognize /dev/sdb1 etc.

when i install on the same way on the three disks (a lot of work last two nights) the same os' s on these disks; the debian (squeeze) os *can* see the filesystems on the other two hd's *with* grub2 installed but *without* putting the bootloader in the mbr of these two disks. older ata-hd's are not recognized/seen at all anymore.

so: without a solution i have to put lilo after years in working order again. i do not see any progression in this; with due respect to all the work of the developers put in grub2.

i am sorry i was not clear enough. i hope i made myself clearer now.

k. reg.,

steef