Re: Hardware needed for home network

On 12 February 2011 22:54, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 02:21:30PM -0600, Jason Hsu wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:17:24 -0800
> David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> >
> > 3.  Netgear fast Ethernet (red) and Gigabit (green and orange) switches
> > with normal/ cross-over auto-sensing.
> >
> What are the differences among a switch, hub, and router?  I know that they are used in networking, but I don't understand what setups they are appropriate for.

You're asking a lot of good, but basic, questions.  I think you might be
better off using a store-bought router (with firewall capabilities) so
that you can be fairly certain of securing your home network.  Then
experiment with creating your own firewall within your LAN.  Learn how
to set it up, learn how to test it using nmap and other tools.  I'd just
hate to see you mess it up and end up with your LAN open to the
internet.

Or locked out of your own system with a bastille mis-config. I've done that too.
Regards,

Weaver

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.