Re: Hardware needed for home network

On 02/11/2011 11:37 AM, Jason Hsu wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up an old computer as a firewall and server.  It needs to connect to my DSL modem AND my main computer.  However, this old computer (like every other computer I've had) only has one Ethernet port.  I know this is old hat for many of you, but I've never done this before.
What do I need to connect my firewall/server computer to a DSL modem AND another computer?  I do use an Ethernet cross cable to connect my main desktop computer to my laptop when I need to transfer files.  Since the Ethernet port of my laptop no longer works, I have to use a USB-to-Ethernet adapter.
If I use a regular Ethernet cable to connect the firewall/server computer to the DSL modem, would it work to use an Ethernet cross-cable and USB-to-Ethernet adapters to provide the connection to my main computer?  Are there USB-to-USB cross cables?

I use:

1.  IpCop Linux (purpose-built firewall, NAT router, etc., distribution):

    http://www.ipcop.org/

2. An old Dell P4, 1.3GHz, 128 MB, 20 GB IDE box with on-board fast Ethernet (Internet/ 'red' subnet) and two Gigabit PCI adapters (LAN/ 'green' subnet and DMZ/ 'orange' subnet').

3. Netgear fast Ethernet (red) and Gigabit (green and orange) switches with normal/ cross-over auto-sensing.

4.  Standard Cat. 5e cables.

For testing cables:

    http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=62-200

To make cables:

    bulk category 5e riser cable (1000 ft. box)

    http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=85-396

    http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=30-696

HTH,

David