Lenny install can't use CD-ROM or flash drive

Today I got a new desktop and tried to install Lenny from a netinst CD, as
I've done several times before.  The install starts and sets the language but
then fails at "Detect and mount CD-ROM" with these errors:

 "No common CD-ROM drive was detected.
  Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?"

These things are known:
  The CD/DVD drive (Toshiba Samsung DVD Writer TS-H663) works when I boot the
    XP partition that was already on the desktop.
  The same netinst CD didn't do this in the past when I built another Lenny
    desktop.  I also burned a new CD just in case.

The new motherboard, in case it matters, is an Intel DH55HC.

I also tried booting from an 8-GB USB flash drive, which I made with:

  cat debian-502-i386-netinst.iso >/dev/sdc

(This is the ISO I happen to have, and I couldn't find newer Lenny ISOs when
I looked today.)  The md5sum on the ISO file was correct.  In the BIOS, I
tried setting to boot from Removable Disks and also Boot USB Devices First.
In no case did it boot from the flash drive.  So I'm out of ideas.

There are quite a few posts concerning this error message.  I tried just a
couple of suggestions, e.g. setting Configure Storage Controller in the BIOS
to AHCI instead of IDE.  No luck.  I now welcome any ideas on how to get
Lenny installed.

Installing Squeeze is not the solution I'm looking for, since I want to keep
running VMware 1 awhile longer, and so I want to stick with 2.2.26.

Thanks.