Re: [OT] Magic numbers

On Monday 07 February 2011 19:10:25 Camaleón wrote:
> > and b)Whether a specific file of that type has the correct magic number.
>
> "file" command, as already pointed out, can help.

That was a great tip the two of you gave me, and did indeed tell me exactly
what I wanted to know.  Unfortunately, this wasn't a real life setup and the
task specifies that we must use hexdump.  As I said earlier, I was very
confused myself.  I'm now a lot clearer, and, as I said, could do it in real
life.

I failed to take account of the fact that in Linux there are always at least
two ways to skin a cat. :-(

Lisi