MySQL (phpmyadmin, Wordpress) hosed after upgrade to Squeeze!

One additional piece of data here.

I just checked and the /var/run/mysql directory is missing!

Will creating this directory fix the problem?

I am not sure what is going on. All I did was upgrade, and now so many things are completely broken. Even the PC speaker stopped beeping, but I was able to fix that with a work-around someone posted on the kernel list. Is Squeeze still considered buggy or is all this to be expected or what?

Thanks,

Erin