MySQL (phpmyadmin, Wordpress) hosed after upgrade to Squeeze!

Hi guys,

I came in ready to tackle my ongoing problems with this Lenny to Squeeze upgrade today, and found yet another one! :(

I run MySQL locally and access the databases all the time with phpmyadmin in a browser. Today I tried to log in and got this error:

#2002 Cannot log in to the MySQL server

So then I checked a local Wordpress install, and when I tried to load the URL it gave me this:

Error establishing a database connection

As root I tried "/etc/init.d/mysql restart" and got the same problem. But looking at "ps aux|grep sql" there's nothing listed, so that tells me that MySQL isn't running at all!

$ mysql -h localhost -u m -D bigdata
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
$

Ok, something bad has happened here!

I didn't change anything at all. It was working perfectly a few days ago. All I did was upgrade. I am sort of afraid of doing anything radical right now that will hurt these databases. But this seems very wrong. Why would an upgrade make it so that mysql can't even run? Anyone have any idea where I should look or what to do?