Re: which version for intel chipset 64bit

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:11:37 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Does that mean that, from
>
> "
> :~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
> cpu family	: 15
> model		: 44
> model name	: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
> stepping	: 2
> cpu MHz		: 1600.224
> cache size	: 256 KB
> fdiv_bug	: no
> hlt_bug		: no
> f00f_bug	: no
> coma_bug	: no
> fpu		: yes
> fpu_exception	: yes
> cpuid level	: 1
> wp		: yes
> flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
> pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts ttp tm stc bogomips	: 3204.10
> "
>
> this system will run 64 bit Debian, and other 64 bit OS's?

(Sigh...) You didn't go to the link I provided, because if you looked
into AMD products you would have found this information about *your*
processor:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=151&id=167&id=168&id=169&id=170

4 in 5 micros are 64-bits capable. And as per your "lm" flag, I'd say
yes: your processor supports 64-bits OSes.

> And, that the CPU (if not the BIOS) can work with 8GB of RAM?

Did you notice the "pae" flag"? Your CPU can work with 8 GiB of ram
whichever architecture you can use (64 or 32 bits).

> (This is different to the I3 system that I particularly wanted to know
> whether I should try to install the I386 or the AMD64 version, but, now,
> I am curious about this system, also)

It is eaiser than you think.

- If in doubt, use the 32 bits arch.

- If still want to "try" the 64 bits flavour, just download any of the 64-
bits LiveCDs that you can find out there and try to load it >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón